Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Back from the depths of my bed

Ciao everyone, I hope you've been well. I know it's been a bit longer than usual since my last update, but I got pretty sick Saturday night and had to really rough through that bit this week, getting about 11-14 hours of sleep a night and trying to just keep it from getting too settled in. It didn't, however, and I am feeling great, just in time to go to Cairo tomorrow!

Basically, I couldn't be more excited if I tried. It's been so busy here these past few days, between less hours in the day to do work because of sleep and the paper prompts, travel prep, etc, it's been a whirlwind. I am at school right now updating actually, since we had a really terrible lightning storm last night that was among the best I've ever been a part of, and it knocked out power all over the city for a lot of the day, and I know internet all over the city has been messy, so I wanted to make sure I at least got a little post in, and who's to say I won't update after class tonight again with more insanity.

This week hasn't had too much to report outside of the sickness until today. This week has had a brewing storm about public school funding here in Roma (see? It is similar to the U.S!) and we've been hearing bits and pieces about it getting bad, but yesterday the Italian Congress stepped up with a new proposal that really messes with the funding and some are passing around making the Sapienza, Roma's university of over 100,000 people, a private school instead of public, and people blew their lid. Massive strikes, protests of tens of thousands of people, it's been really intense around these parts. The Military police stopped me today on site visit as I was wearing a red shirt (communist color, you know) and asked in Italian if I was going to the rally.

I was not. Sono Americano, and if I go, unfortunately, I get kicked out of the program. It's the rules and they stink, as I'd love to see it just to witness it. But the Carabinieri, or military police, were in full riot gear and had automatic rifles and looked really intimidating. Apparently, in 2001, similar protests occurred and they turned violent. Very violent.

Here's to hoping that doesn't happen!

Today is my last day in Roma, as tomorrow I'm going to Cairo to see the Tellams, and no offense to Brad and Sue, I can't wait to see Kirsten. It's been over three weeks now, and we get to meet up in Egypt? Wooooohoo! I can't wait! Egypt is somewhere I've wanted to go my entire life, and if you know me, you know that's true. I will take millions of pictures, worry not, and I will have the time of my lifetime, fear not at all. I'm there until Saturday night after getting in Thursday evening, then to Athens until Wednesday, where I'll report back fully!

Enjoy your week folks, off to class! Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do think this is a great web site. I stumbledupon it ;) I will revisit once again
since i have book-marked it. Money and freedom is
the best way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide other people.



Here is my webpage; extreme weight loss