Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Progress

Ciao everyone,

I am really not that interesting most of the time, I really am being honest. Sometimes, I just have class and come home, do homework, and socialize. It's difficult to really to get into the depths of this life. But I'll go into a little bit of what my day looks like, who I live with, and how I roll on a daily basis.

So where to start? I guess with waking up. I wake up around 8 to leave for class at 8:45, and usually I just eat some breakfast, shower, maybe shave, and get ready to roll. My wardrobe is shrinking since I really do need to go do some laundry soon, but it sucks since half of my clothes are still unworn. How? I packed for the fall/winter too, and since it's been about 90 every day, I can't wear them yet. I suffer through my jeans every 2-3 days just to make sure I can switch up the look and not always be in shorts since shorts aren't really all that Euro-fashionable. Camille saw a mannequin, however, that was dressed in shirt, shorts, and flip flops, and remarked how similar to me it looked and I had a pretty good laugh at that. My style as Euro? Please.

I can tell that my clothes for the winter will be slightly--operative word being slightly--more stylish for the winter, since jeans are really popular, check, and I have a few long sleeve shirts that look pretty Italian.

Well, I guess I should take an aside to describe a bit of Italian fashion: it's expensive, chic, and for men, it really only looks all that good if you have a bit darker skin, anddd assuming you all remember vaguely what I look like, that isn't me. I mean, I know it's been a while for some of you, but seriously, it may be baking here, but I'm about 8 shades away, a nose, and a few cheekbones away from looking somewhat Italian. But up the street there is a shop that sells some shirts that we all agree look pretty Italian and wearable, and the guys I live with and myself have decided it may merit a purchase if for no other reason that to all look like some sort of poseur, psudeo-Italian team as we'd match.

Yeah, you can tell we're pretty cool.

Anyway, yes, so after getting dressed, it's 3.5 hours of Italian classes, which is forcing me to get a little better giorno a giorno a italiano. It's not coming easily, but it's not incredibly trying either. My French background helps a lot, but it's a gift and a curse at the same time. I substitute words I don't know with French and it doesn't help at all. Pronunciations? It's French. It just takes practice, and I'm getting plenty of it. The grocery store? I'm doing even better. I even got a laugh today from someone while there in my really trying to do well, and it's close enough now that it is understandable, albeit laughable.

But yes, class, then monument sighting (not today, however) or homework and shopping / meal making. Exciting, I know. It sounds like it could be in the United States, going to school back in San Diego.

But I'm not. I'm in Roma.

Today marks just 10 days left until break and heading to Athens! Woohoo! And my practicum is 7 days down, 8 to go. Yeah. I'm really glad to hear KK's getting settled, I'll go check it all out in a week and a half. I'm so excited, I get to see Rome, Athens, and Cairo while I'm here, or the three big ones. The second three are London, Paris, and Barcelona, which I hope to acheive at some point.

But yes, that's about it I guess. Pictures will probably come back tomorrow. Until then,

Ciao.

No comments: