Monday, September 1, 2008

September starts

Hey everyone, happy Labor Day back home, it's officially as early as it can, so all y'all heading back to school had a nice summer, and everyone else can enjoy their day. I know Kirsten is now in Athens, and congrats to her! I had to get a few things figured out to call her, like I needed to dial 00 to get out of Italy, THEN I could call her. But got it all under control now, woohoo.

Just a note I wanted to say: I posted ALL of my photos on a free and easy sight that's tied to Google, or Webpicasa. The link is here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/NoMomentWasted

So check them out! More pictures than you'll ever know what to do with, trust me.

Today was just back to school after a day of kinda vegging yesterday and we got our tests from Friday back, and so far I'm an A student for Italian. Whether or not that's an actuality and a trend that's going to hold, I'm not sure, but I sure hope so. It's worth a whole class and change of units, and it only lasts three weeks, so I've already made it through 6 of 15 days with an A, so that's a good start I suppose.

After class got out, we had to stick around to hear about our classes for the actual term, starting after the first week long break (or the 22nd). I have class on Monday and Wednesday from 9-11, 11:30-1:30, and 4:30-6:30, which is a longggg day. I probably will have to leave around 8 and not get back until around 7:30, but that's ok I suppose. Just pack a lunch and have dinner when I get back.

The 9-11 is The History of Medieval Rome, which is an Art History and Architecture Class. Yeah, not really my forte, but I'm pretty excited about it to be honest. What better place to learn about Medieval Roman Art and Architecture than IN Rome and seeing it firsthand? It has about 10 site visits during lecture times during the 9 weeks of class, it's going to be wild. I have to book it on the bus several times to make it back to class on time, which is a good trial-by-fire to learn the system over here, which is confusing as all get out, to be 100% honest. I'll figure it out though I'm sure in no time, just do it once and it's easier, 10 times it's a breeze.

The 11:30-1:30 is Culture and Identity in Italy, or a Anthropology course on the nature of life in Italy and how it evolved into such. It's going to be a really nice insight into why things are the way they are here, and I have a lot of questions, so they'll be answered and I can update you on many things. I kid you not, one lecture is "A Critical Examination of the Roman Emphasis on Fashion." Yeah, KK, you listening?

The 4:30-6:30 class is Science and Religion in Italian Culture and History, taught by a professor who also happens to be a Priest. I am really, really interested to see this one. He lists in his biography that he's an intelligent design supporter and believes science and religion are completely compatible, should be really cool.

And finally, I have Italian Class again in the regular class times on Tuesday and Thursday from 9-11, so my weekends are going to be much longer as they begin at 11am Thursday. Awesome, more time to travel / relax. Excellent.

Woohoo, I'm really just getting into class and moving forward in that department. I know, not the most beautiful post or entertaining, but certainly important to update on. And don't forget the pictures! They're fun. Next blog will address my travel plans I've got / am planning and I will definitely take requests for pictures and / or souvenirs! (and donations for my travels can be directed to my mother hahaha).

Until next time, ciao!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Those classes sound amazing! You will have to share all of your architecture knowledge when we come to Rome. And awesome photos, of course!