Sunday, August 31, 2008

August Musings

Today marks the end of August in Rome, which is quite a thing to think about. I've been gone for almost two weeks and about to enter a new month here, which is always kind of refreshing. August is great, it's always gorgeous and warm (although warm here is taken to a new level), and it's the heart of the summer.

With September always comes change, and I'm excited for that change. Kirsten leaves today and she begins life in Europe on September 1st (I think that's kind of cool, personally. August was one country, September a new one), and I start more Italian tomorrow as well. My birthday is in just over two weeks on the 16th, and I'm really pretty laid back when it comes to this one. I know my birthday is going to be very non-traditional as far as I've come to know it, but last year, I went to bed early on my birthday to drive to school, the year before it, I moved into college on it, and this year, I'll wake up in Athens and come back to Roma in the evening.

So I'm leading a pretty good life, no question about it. I mean, I go here to meet people. Who can complain about that part? I saw Travis and Camille last night again for an excellent Gnocchi, Bruschetta, and Chocolate Mousse Cake dinner, but with excellent tends to come expensive. 20 Euro is the standard for a good meal, but 20 euros is 30 bucks. When was the last time I spent 30 bucks on a meal just for myself (outside of last week at the Colosseum?) It's been quite a long time.

Everything over here is more expensive. It's just the way of the world. The Euro may be worth 1.5 dollars, but it's buying power is the equivalent of 1 dollar in the United States, if that makes sense. So say a chocolate bar is a dollar in the US; it's also a euro here. See my dilemma? I mean, yes, Wine is very cheap, criminally so, as in like a euro or so a bottle, depending on what you get. Cheese is pretty fair too, as Parma isn't all that far away. Oh, and Mozzerella? Looks like ice cream here. This picture is your basic lunch, Prosciutto, Bread, Mozzerrella, etc. Yum. Gelato, or Italian Ice Cream, is pretty fair too, roughly the same as in the US, and it tastes better, which is nice. Milk is expensive, like to the tune of about 6.00 euro, or about 9 bucks a gallon. Yeah. I pay about 1.50 or so for a liter about every other day.

The food is excellent, yes, and people over here put a premium on it. But if the dollar and euro were equal value, I'd be ok with it. It's just expensive to do everything already, and add that little conversion, it can be enough to make you cringe. My cell phone is another scary bill. I called Kirsten from Germany when I got there for 5 minutes and it cost something like 10 euro. OUCH. But it's not tooooo bad here, but that one charge makes my statement look worse. No worries though, won't be making that mistake again any time soon, so all of you looking to call me when I'm roaming, let me call you.

But just because it's expensive doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it. It's just really hard to budget over here and try to make sure you don't just eat well because you can, but to make sure you don't overspend is tough. Oh, another interesting thing:

Laundry? Like whoa expensive. 4 euro a load (remember, 6 bucks) to wash and 4 to dry. I have to walk 5 blocks to do it too, but I haven't yet. I think Tuesday will be a good day for that. I won't dry much I don't think, especially since it's so hot, but still, yikes. I washed a few things in the sink to try it out and it looks like it works ok, but a laundry machine will be necessary sometimes.

As far as having like hygiene and toiletries stuff, everyone over here washes their hair and brushes their teeth just like we do, so the stuff is pretty easy to find. Pantene Pro-V? Definitely exists, same bottles, same everything. Again, with the Euro-ouch to it, but nothing too horrible. But yes, such is the life here in Italy. We do get new towels once every few days or so when we get our apartment cleaned, which is nice, considering I shower often with the heat here.

But right now, I'm more just excited for Kirsten getting to leave and have lots and lots of fun. In honor of her leaving, I say syncharitiria and good luck! A picture to commemorate you leaving! To the rest of you, until next time,

Ciao.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it there for two weeks and I can't believe all the things you have already gotten to do.. I am all caught up now on daily travels!! :o)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't bring myself to buy Pantene-- 4.58 E apiece for shampoo and conditioner. Ouch! I went with the more wallet-friendly Garnier haha.