Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Today's the day

So long, Portland.

So long, Oregon.

So long, United States, even.

Hello, Europe.

Hello, Italy.

Hello, Rome.

Today's the day I've been preparing for, and after a semi-decent night's sleep, I am leaving for Rome. Kirsten has been a huge help these past few days helping me get ready and making sure I am prepared to leave the country (i.e. making sure my Mexican food love is satiated for the last time). I am simultaneously ecstatic, nervous, antsy, and even a bit sad to be leaving. I'm really going to miss some people, from family to friends to Kirsten, some things just aren't easy to leave behind, even if it is just for a little while.

But this process started years ago, hoping to go abroad, and manifested itself in reality with my application process starting a little before Thanksgiving last year, and here I am now, passport in hand and clothes in case, ready to leave for over four months.

This is the last blog emanating from the United States for the next few months, and where it really begins to get interesting. In case you were wondering, my flight leaves at 1:05 pm West Coast Time and lands at 11:20 pm West Coast Time, or 8:20 am Rome time, and I should be finished with my travels around 12:30 pm when I finally get to Rome after leaving Frankfurt, then customs, check-in with my program, moving in, and eventually, meeting people, all culminating with my first bedtime sleep at around 10pm Rome time, or 1 pm tomorrow.

So here I go. I wish you all the best and say goodbye, and here's to having a memorable, amazing, and life-lasting experience. Wish me luck and I'll be in touch.

Ciao.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck and fly safe. I'm so excited for you! I'll see you there in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

Just got back from our trip to Yellowstone and will be catching up on what you have been up to so far..